Child and family benefits


We do not guarantee the accuracy of this copy of the CRA website.

Scraped Page Content

Child and family benefits

Includes Canada child benefit, goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit, their related provincial and territorial programs, as well as working income tax benefit and other federal programs.

These payments are meant to help individuals and families. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) administers these payments.

Are you eligible and do you want to apply for benefits?

Select a link below for more information on the benefit, credit, or program.

Find out if you are eligible for benefits and credits

Married or common-law with children under 18 years old

Single with
children under 18 years old

Married or
common-law with no children

Single and 19 or older with no children

Canada child benefit Yes Yes No No
Goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit Yes Yes Yes Yes
Provincial and territorial
benefits and credits
Yes Yes Yes Yes

You might also be eligible for other benefits

Child disability benefit
This is a tax-free benefit for families who care for a child under the age of 18 who is eligible for the disability tax credit.

Working income tax benefit
This is a refundable tax credit intended to provide tax relief for eligible working low-income individuals and families who are already in the workforce. It is also intended to encourage Canadians to enter the workforce.

Children’s special allowances
This program provides payments to federal and provincial agencies and institutions that care for children (for example, children's aid societies).

Are you expecting a baby?

If you are the birth mother of a newborn, you can use the Automated Benefits Application on the birth registration form when you register your newborn with your province. This allows you to apply for the Canada child benefit, the GST/HST credit, and related provincial or territorial programs for your child.

What do you need to do after you apply?

You don’t have to apply for the benefits and credits every year, but you must:

  • do your taxes on time every year
    • to continue receiving the benefit and credit payments that you are entitled to, even if you have no income in the year. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to do their taxes every year. Need a hand to complete your tax return?

  • keep your personal information up to date
  • keep your supporting documents in case we ask for them
    • in the future, you might receive a letter from the CRA as part of the validation process, asking you to confirm your personal information.

Sign up for:

Want to know how much you might get?

Go to the CRA child and family benefits calculator to see how much you might get.

Did you get a benefits overpayment? You may have a balance owing.

When will you get your payment?

For all payment dates and contact information, see benefit payment dates.

To view your personalized benefit information, including your next benefit payment date and amount, use the MyBenefits CRA mobile application.

Related services and information

Date modified: